Tips for Playing It Safe
When played responsibly, gambling can be an enjoyable source of entertainment for adults. But unfortunately it can also be addictive. There are many levels of problem gambling—you could be practicing risky behaviors without even realizing it.
To minimize your chances of experiencing problems with gambling, it’s important to know the rules. The following tips can help you stay in control and keep it fun.
Safe Gambling Tips
- Set limits on time and money spent.
- Play for fun, not just for money.
- Bet only what you can afford to lose.
- Realize that knowing more won’t guarantee a win.
- Don’t play to escape.
- Know what’s legal to play in your area.
- Never gamble when stressed, depressed, or in recovery.
- Know when to quit; don’t chase your losses.
- Understand that everyone loses over time.
- Gamble only with money set aside for entertainment.
- Avoid mixing gambling with alcohol or other substances.
- Never borrow to play.
- Balance recreational gambling with other healthy activities.
- Know where to get help.
And be sure to know the signs of risky gambling.